Donny Schatz set to embark on 23rd World of Outlaws season
BARBERVILLE, Florida (February 8, 2019) – Just three short months after claiming his 10th World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series title at the Dirt Track at Charlotte, Donny Schatz and the Tony Stewart / Curb-Agajanian Racing No. 15 team are ready to kick off another year with the Greatest Show on Dirt.
For Schatz, it will be his 23rd season with the World of Outlaws and with it comes a bit of change. A new co-primary partner brings new colors as Rush Truck Centers is proudly displayed on the top wing of the now white, blue and red Shaver powered J&J.
Over the offseason, Tony Stewart Racing (TSR) announced Schatz’s long-time crew chief, Ricky Warner, had transitioned into a role leading the team’s research and development efforts in conjunction with the Ford Performance team. The move promoted car chief, Steve “Scuba” Swenson, to crew chief for the 2019 season.
Swenson is no stranger to Schatz or TSR. Swenson began working for TSR in 2007 and is working with Schatz for the seventh consecutive year. The Watertown, S.D. native has helped Schatz win five Knoxville Nationals and six World of Outlaws championships.
The duo made their debut with the All Star Circuit of Champions at Volusia Speedway Park on Wednesday, February 6th. The result was no less than impressive. After struggling early in the night, Schatz rallied from seventh to second in the B-main to solidify a position in the main event. Rolling off 22nd in a stacked line up, in true Schatz fashion, the Fargo, N.D. driver wheeled his way up to the fourth position, advancing 18 positions and picking up the Hard Charger award.
The following night was very similar. Schatz transferred into the A-main by way of a runner-up finish in the B, which put him 22nd on the grid. Again, the 10-time and defending World of Outlaws champion powered his way up to ninth to earn another Hard Charger award.
Schatz has 10 career World of Outlaws victories at semi-banked half-mile clay oval, including a pair of wins in 2018. Entering the 2019 season, Schatz sits third on the all-time Outlaws wins list with 283 career victories and has a six-year streak of winning at least 20 races.
All three World of Outlaws (Feb. 8-10) events this weekend can be seen on DirtVision.com.
Previous World of Outlaws Results at Volusia Speedway Park:
- 4th on Feb. 9 (started 14th)
- 1st on Feb. 10 (started 6th; lead 2 laps)
- 1st on Feb. 11 (started 4th; lead 27 laps)
- 14th on Feb. 17 (started 16th)
- 1st on Feb. 19 (started on the pole; lead 12 laps)
- 1st on Feb. 19 (started 17th; lead 2 laps)
- 18th on Feb. 12 (started 17th)
- 1st on Feb. 13 (started 5th; lead 9 laps)
- 8th on Feb. 14 (started 12th)
- 2nd on Feb. 13 (started 6th; lead 4 laps)
- 1st on Feb. 14 (started 2nd; lead 23 laps)
- 10th on Feb. 15 (started 17th)
- 12th on Feb. 14 (started 20th)
- 1st on Feb. 15 (started 11th; lead 8 laps)
- 3rd on Feb. 16 (started 3rd)
- 8th on Feb. 15 (started 22nd)
- 22nd on Feb. 16 (started 8th)
- 4th on Feb. 17 (started 14th)
- 4th on Feb. 18 (started 15th)
- 1st on Feb. 19 (started on the pole; lead all 20 laps)
- 2nd on Feb. 19 (started on the pole)
- 15th on Feb. 11 (started 18th)
- 2nd on Feb. 12 (started 7th)
- 17th on Feb. 13 (started 20th)
- 1st on Feb. 6 (started 3rd; lead 20 laps)
- 4th on Feb. 7 (started 6th)
- 1st on Feb. 6 (started on the pole; lead 20 laps)
- 8th on Feb. 7 (started 11th)
- 1st on Feb. 8 (started 4th; lead all 30 laps)
- 2nd on Feb. 8 (started 4th)
- 2nd on Feb. 9 (started 3rd; lead 3 laps)
- 8th on Feb. 10 (started 24th)
- 1st on Feb. 9 (started on the pole; lead 14 laps)
- 3rd on Feb. 10 (started 5th)
- 3rd on Feb. 10 (started 6th)
- 2nd on Feb. 9, 14th on Feb. 10
- 19th on Feb. 11 (lead 10 laps); 15th on Feb. 13
Tony Stewart Racing: